In Spring 2020, Cathy Davidson and Eduardo Vianna were co-teaching a course at the Graduate Center, an offering of The Futures Initiative titled “Introduction to Engaged Teaching and Transformative Learning in the Humanities and Social Sciences.” Like millions around the world, they and their students were forced to make the move to remote teaching and learning in the middle of the semester due to the COVID-19 shutdown. This group made the best of a fraught and traumatic situation. I can’t help but say they almost literally made lemonade from lemons, because what came out of the class was a surprise to all of them – a cookbook. You’ll hear how that happened in this episode. The ambassadors are Cathy Davidson, Dree-el Simmons and Tatiana Ades.
The course website is freely available at hastac, an online network cofounded by Cathy Davidson in 2002 and the world’s first and oldest academic social network.
During their conversation, they mention several people and programs that you’ll undoubtedly want to know more about:
- Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) https://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements/Academics-Research-Centers-Initiatives/Masters-Programs/Liberal-Studies
- Manifold, the publishing platform and online home of We Eat https://cuny.manifoldapp.org/
- The Futures Initiative, sponsor of the Manifold publication https://futuresinitiative.org/
- Ofelia Garcia https://ofeliagarcia.org/
- Zitkala-Sa http://aktalakota.stjo.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8882
- Alberta Gatti https://www.gc.cuny.edu/News/Press-Room/Detail?id=55615
- Barbara Katz Rothman (featured in Episode 2 of Indoor Voices) http://www.barbarakatzrothman.com/
Listen to Episode 51 now!
Follow us on Twitter!